Thursday, September 24, 2009

Last days in Cusco .... and here's still more to see.

What an amazing place ... a place of contrasts .... always throws up something different.

Yesterday, being our second last day in Cusco, we headed in to town for the afternoon - I browsed some of the markets again whilst Lex made himself comfortable at Paddy's. Not a bad way to spend an afternoon. I even bought a couple of hand-painted cards from a young man - these are alwys interesting exchanges ... but ones we mostly try to avoid. The conversation goes like this (and if you've been here yourself, you'll relate to this)...

You look at my paintings lady. It's my work. One sol..... (it's never one sol)... No thanks.
Maybe later. Maybe next week. Maybe next life. ( I love their sense of humour.) No Thanks. Walk into another shop ... only to find him still waiting for me when I come out.
Where you come from lady? Australia, I say, not wanting to be rude ... but BAD move 'cos it always opens more dialogue.
Kevin Rudd the Prime Minister. Who you like best, Kevin Rudd or John Howard?
I asked where it learnt about them ... and he says at school.
I don't like either ... Politics. Country needs politics, but it's full of corruption. You like Cusco? How many times you been here?
Twice
Bit more conversation... and I say Ciao ... and go into the next market, but he is still waiting when I come out 30 mins later..... So I look at his work. We negotiate a price, and I now have 2 hand painted cards.

I met up with Lex later in Paddy's ... and find he's got into some conversation with a couple of Irishmen and a Scot, who were wanting to find out where you get the drink made from a frog in a blender!!!!! (brings to mind a cartoon I saw years ago) Haven't heard of this drink ... but the waitress says she's had the soup, not the drink, but she thinks you can get it at San Pedro market .... where Zac introduced Lex who introduced Jeff to a special drink ... fruit, milk, beer ... etc. Don't think we have time for another trip to San Pedro market before we leave ... ;-)

After Paddy's we met Zac and Milka for church - not their local church, but one near the Plaza since we were going out for tea after. Just happened to be the Saint's day at La Merced church, so it was packed, with different blessings being made etc. Voices in these churches are very beautiful!

And a new experience for tea ... dinner and entertainment at Divina Comedia - a couple of streets up the hill from the plaza. Dinner and live opera performances .... in Cusco!!!!
From Peru 2 - 2009

What a unique experience - the food was superb, and the entertainment was amazing ... and so effortless!!! Dessert was also unique ... a shared plate with small serves of 5 different desserts. What a great idea when you can't decide on one!!! or just want to try them all!!!
From Peru 2 - 2009


The restaurant is in one of those magnificent, well maintained colonial buildings ... very old stone-work, courtyard in the middle. Even the toilet was an experience. Lights came on automatically as you walked along the corridor. The hand basin had a stone puma head for the water .. but there was no obvious tap ... small pressure plate on the floor, turns on the water and it comes out of the puma's mouth!! Glad I wasn't the first to go ...

Tonight we are in for a different experience. Last night in Cusco and Zac's friends have brought their weekly darts night forward to Thurs for us... so we are off to Cross Keys ... a very nice, English style pub.

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Your starting to sound like locals...

I know you'll be sad to leave... and I can't wait for you to come home.... But I reckon I'll miss reading your blog and of your adnventures too!!!

Have a safe trip home.