Monday, September 14, 2009

Looking from the outside ..... to see the main gate of the prison

There's a prison near where we are staying in Lima and when they asked if I wanted to see the main gate to the prison ... I thought ... a gate is a gate ... do I want to see a gate.... not really. But apparently this is worth seeing ... so off we went.

The corner of the street leading up to the gate was filled with vendor's stalls and I innocently (or ignorantly) said...'Oh .. another market.' and Milka said, 'Similar'. We wandered along through the stalls selling food items , drinks, fruit, hot food as well as skirts and sandals. Milka explained that the skirts and sandals are for sale as well as for rent ... by women visiting the jail as they aren't allowed in wearing jeans or closed-in shoes. What an innocent, protected life I lead.

As we got further along the rows of stalls the crowd was thicker ... and the girls whispered amongst themselves and directed me onto the street . .. away, apparently from the long queue that was waiting to enter the prison for visiting day. Today it was women's visiting day, and the area was filled with women and children laden with bags of food and personal items to be taken into the prison. Obviously, given my previous faux pas with photos, we kept the camera well hidden – so no photos of the prison gate ... or the crowds outside

No comments: