Sunday, February 26, 2012

First stop in Brazil ..... Paraty

 (I am so far behind with this blog - far too busy enjoying sights, sounds and cultural experiences in Brazil to find time for writing.  But for my own record, I need to at least provide an outline of our experiences - before I forget.)

Arrived in Brazil after an overnight flight, then 4 and half hour bus trip to Paraty.  Delightful place.  Hostel right opposite the beach, breakfast right on the beach .... as well as a few late night caipirinhas - Brazilian drink prepared with cachaça.





Paraty is a beautiful historic town - no cars are permitted in the historic part of the town, which has rough boulder streets.  Can't really call them cobble stones - too rough.  Apparently many of these streets flood during very high tide.  The town is beautiful - full of restaurants, gift shops and clothing stores.  



 

While in Paraty, we enjoyed a boat trip - lots of swimming in the warm waters, sunshine, and just a few caipirhinas as well.  Great day out .... apart from the sunburn!!





Really enjoyed the food here - especially moqueca - Brazilian fish stew. We had this dish twice, but the first night was the best - cooked by 2 Brazilian ladies in a small restaurant.  Even got to watch them preparing it.  We didn't leave anything in the plate that night!!!







Thinks I learnt on this trip.....


  •  I don't understand Portuguese.  I expected there to be some similarities with Spanish - but I didn't notice any.  Zac told me the extent of his Portuguese - fango (chicken) and abacaxi (pineapple) - after that we were on our own.  No guessing that our first meal in Brazil consisted of pineapple juice and chicken 'somethings'.  Oh - and Milka and I had fruit salad.... each.... BIG mistake.  They were HUGE and were served with thick slice cheese and ham.  Who wants ham and cheese with fruit salad???


  • Most meals on the menu are designed for TWO people.  Fact that is not often mentioned on the menu. And 2 meals is quite enough for 5 people.
  • Brazilians party like no one else!!!!
  • I like  caipirinhas 


and fresh coconut


No comments: