Monday, February 06, 2012

I nearly missed out

Sharing time in the company of family and friends is one of the universal pleasures in life - same everywhere in the world. Today we enjoyed a BBQ lunch out of town with some of Zac and Milka's good friends and their families.  It's fabulous to be included in such events - just wish I could understand more Spanish to be more involved in the conversations.


Mark and Cecy had hired a bus to transport us all to La Hacienda del Tio Juan.  When Lex and I left home earlier in the morning, lunch arrangements were a possibility - but nothing definite.  Zac's comment to me before we left home was "Have you got your phone with you just in case there's any news about lunch."  Well I always carry my phone - a Peru sim card so it's only for communicating back and forth with Zac.  

We were headed out to a local market - full of eateries, meat, fruit and vegetables, furniture and assorted items.  What a gem - decided to buy several types of potatoes.  There are hundreds of different types grown here.  

Our hunting and gathering was interrupted by a phone call - felt the vibration in my pocket.  A voice said "Por Fin!!!"  Milka.  Then Zac came on and asked me why I hadn't answered previous calls  Said he'd been ringing for 45 minutes, and did we want to go out to lunch with the family.  Some exaggeration!!! But of course we wanted to go - we'd be home soon.


I have this understanding with my kids - if they ring my mobile and I don't answer, please ring again, in case I didn't hear or didn't get to the phone in time.  I checked my phone (on Zac's insistence) - 25 missed calls!!! Guess he probably wasn't exaggerating.  But I was so pleased he didn't give up on me  I would have missed another adventure.  Thanks Zac

Lunch at La Hacienda del Tio Juan  http://lahaciendadeltiojuan.blogspot.com/




About 15-20 minutes out in the southern valley, lush garden setting on the hillside - great venue for a warm Sunday BBQ

We were greeted with complimentary Maracuya Sours - Passionfruit Pisco Sour.  Apparently yesterday was Pisco Sour Day here in Peru - so we'd had them the evening before as well.




Menu included an assortment of dishes I recognised, as well as some I hadn't seen before.  Sara's meal - think it was called Pachamanca - usually cooked in earthenware pot - includes several different kinds of meat as well as different vegetables. HUGE meal.  My 'pechuga de pollo'  (chicken breast) was more manageable size for me.

 


At the end of the afternoon, Tio Juan arrived carrying a small shot glass and a bottle of ????  He proceeded around the table pouring a drink and handing it in turn to each of us ... skull!!!  It was aniseed flavour, so I'm guessing Anise - and apparently it is taken to aid digestion ... cut the fat in the food just eaten.  Have heard similar things here in Peru before - and Milka has given us straight Pisco after pork meals.  Guess it is similar. Anyway it was strong, but not unpleasant.  I drank mine!!





















Another great Sunday in Cusco.....  Gotta love this place!!

No comments: