Friday, May 18, 2007

I have another mum and dad....










This was also a very special experience. No time to write about it now. You´ll have to wait, sorry!!!
....
We arrived at Amantani Is and were introduced to our new Papa who took us up the hill (and I do mean UP the hill, s-l-o-w-l-y) to our house. On the boat on the way out we had language lessons from our local guide - a few phrases in quechan language. I wasn't able to remember anything, so I kept my sheet beside me. They just giggled at me everytime i tried to say anything.)

Going up to the house was sooo hard. Altitude makes breathing so hard. It seemed to take ages. One of the phrases on the sheet was 'slower please'. I didn't need it as my Papa carried my backpack, gave me some 'munya' (a pepermint herb) to help breathing, and waited patiently for me.

When we got up to the house, 'mama' had lunch ready for us. Two courses - vegetable soup followed by a plate of rice, potatoes, okkas (type of sweet potato) and fried cheese. Very tasty, and filling. Next we walked further up the hill for a soccer game against the locals (at this altitude 3900M ... not so easy... and the locals won. Forgot, we were also given Then a walk further up the hill to see the sunset, and have some doughnuts. Nice!! but the toilets were not so good. Paid 50 cents for the pleasure, but one look was more than enough.

Dinner at night was vegetable soup and vegetable casserole and rice. Have you guessed by now that they are vegetarians!!! We were to give our food gifts at dinner time when the family was together, but that didn't happen. In fact, Lex, Zac and I sat on one side of the table, there were 2 chairs on the other side, but mama sat on a stump near the fire, kids sat on other stumps ... on a dirt floor. The family has 6 kids, we only saw 5 of them.

After dinner, there was a dance.... and we were provided with traditional costumes to wear. What a sight!!!

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Huh?!!

Can't wait to hear (read) the rest of this story!!

Miss you so much - I desperately want to pick up the phone and talk to you about all this and more but then remeber that I can't!!

Anonymous said...

What great adventures you are having! I'd love to hear more about your Machu Picchu experience (amongst others) when you return.