Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The trip is over ... well the part with Zac

It's been an amazing, absolutely packed 3 weeks!!! I really wanted to continue the tour with Zac and the small group that continued into Bolivia, but so did lots of others. We had so many adventures, new experiences and met lots of new friends ... even managed to catch up with one couple here in Argentina.

Zac is really good at his job. He knows a lot about the areas we visited' and communicates really well with all people on the tour. I loved watching him communicate with locals in Spanish. It was great to be here for his birthday too.

Stll can´t get used to NOT putting toilet paper in the toilet!!! But I have also realised that an Eco Toilet stop can be preferable to some facilities. Believe the brochure!!! Even paid 50 soles for one that I couldn't even walk into... YUCK!!! Really don't care for self flush ones either!!!

All good ... survived so far, although at one point at Arequipa, our first stop at altitude, I really had my doubts. I felt so sick, I didn't think I'd be able to continue and I didn't know how I was going to get home either ... couldn't face sitting on a plane for hours!!! We had 2 days there and I got over most of it. Our trip to the jungle, at sea level again, was a blessing. Although I was often short of breath at altitude, I really didn't suffer any more headaches of dizziness, or tingly fingers. Altitude affected many of us in different ways.

Food has been different, but we manage to order and eat well, even though we don't understand most of the menu!! What an achievement, I say! It was certainly easier with Zac around. There are a few words we now recognise ... and even look for on a menu. Safer that way. Some of us have tried guinea pig, and alpaca. I'm not that game!!

The truck, Peggy, was terrific ... feels like a coach, but drives like a very powerful truck. Sail is an excellent driver ... calm in the most DIFFICULT situations.

Still find computer use here very difficult. Most internet kiosks have OLD computers ... slow, no letters on the keys ... but most frustrating is different keyboard layout. There are some additional keys for Spanish, and some keys are in different places ... but not always the same. Seem to be a few variations. Lindy and I couldn´t find the 'at' key last night. Still can't find it. It shows on the 2 key along with 2 other symbols. But we can´t get it to work. I know it's a key combination ... just not sure which one. Last time it was ALT (or CTRL) and 6 and 4. But not this time!!!!!

Cusco was my favourite city, clean, old, and beautiful, although I didn't get used to the number of people trying to sell things to you all the time or begging. Have also realised that the cities which are the most modern are not always the safest. Interesting really!

Almost 10am ... must be breakfast time. We're on holiday time ... or is it Argentine time? Breakfast here is between 10am and 12noon....

1 comment:

Sophie said...

Sounds like the trip has been absolutely wonderful so far!!! Who could have asked for a better tour guide. We know his day revolves around food so I reckon he'd be reliable in that aspect *grin*