Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Thanks for your prayers .....

What a day ... thank you all for your prayers ... friends!!! We made it. Plan was for a 15km ride through the wine areas ... featuring chateaus, churches, beautiful views, vinyards and wineries with wine tasting.

I only hit the dirt twice ... but only once from the bike ... and less than 100m from the bike shop... ... well it was bitumen really (thinking of you Lac). Not badly injured on that one ... but I must say, a bike rider I m NOT!!!! and don't wish to be...

The ride delivered all the promised views ... but I could only appreciate them when we stopped. We had beaut bikes ... 27 gears ... front and back brakes... forgot to mention that the last time I rode a bike (about 24 years ago) my bike had pedal brakes and no gears!!! Today was certainly an experience.

I think we rode about 20kms ... although I did give my walking muscles some exercise as well. We went to the top of a hill for the panoramic views ... warned that it was steep and we would have to walk bikes up. Well it was steep ... and it was much safer for me to walk my bike down as well!!! Stop laughing!!!

We stopped at a motor museum ... bikes, farm amchinery, cars, planes ... and a chateau!!! So many ... and models as well ... but why? What drives someone to collect such items and sooooo many!!! This is where I hit the dirt again. Shakey legs and a twisted ankle ... more skin off! Now I really had jelly legs ... and no confidence. Still had to get home ... via the narrow country lanes and the busier roads!!! Freaking out all the way!!! It was not a pretty sight by this stage!!!
Ohhh I forgot to mention that all this was taking place ... in the rain!!!! We started off in cloudy conditions ... but had light rain for most of the day.

Have uploded LOTS of pics... no doubt you will get a laugh out of them. They tell so much more of the tale than I can ... in my exhausted state.

Hot bath to nusre my bruises ... then staple food ... bread and wine while Lex enjoys the finish of another Tour stage ... Compeigne ... made all the more special because we stayed there and walked the streets that the race would finish on ... including the cobblestones!!!

Lex says ...does it get any better than this ... drinking beer and watching the Tour de France ... in France!!!!

1 comment:

Sophie said...

I think you were very brave to get back on the bike again!! - even if it did take 24 years!!!!!

What a way to see France!!

And Dad definitely looks in his element with the French staples...