Thursday, September 15, 2011

And I only thought I would be making a fool of myself in front of Lex.....

Planned trip to the museum today for our practical lesson didn't eventuate.  Apparently we needed more vocabulary practice.  Well I now appreciate how ESL students feel - firstly converting the question into their preferred language, considering a response, then converting the response into the language being learnt.  That's hard enough, but even that doesn't work when asked to provide an example (definite article and noun) - personal, feminine, plural.  Takes some thinking about!!!  Yes, nouns have gender, and although there are some rules, there are also many exceptions (excepciones).

More vocab needed - so instead of the museum, we walked and talked ... along the streets to the super mercado - where we went in with out teachers.  Items were identified, in Spanish and we wrote them down and attempted to copy the pronunciation .... and identify if the word was masculine of feminine- and convert it to the plural.....  Did draw a few wry smiles from other shoppers.  I'm sure they have seen it before.  But it certainly beats walking around on my own (or with Lex) trying to work out names and pronunciation - that would look stupid.  Didn't seem to bother our teachers at all.

And like a good parent, Zac asked me if we had homework!!  Good question (maybe we should have asked him that more often) - but to be honest I really don't know.  There was a great deal of really intense dialogue about the exercises in our study book, and the word, manana, but I'm not sure if we have to do the work for tomorrow or we will be doing it tomorrow.  Yes Zac, I did try to ask, but made no more sense of the answer ... so will have to see what happens.



Watched a class practising dancing ... not sure what for, but we were told the moves were from jungle dances...
In all, another exhausting day, time for a siesta.

No comments: