Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Halloween in Cusco

We have never been fans of the 'American' tradition of Halloween, but I'm always up for new experiences - so we headed off to the Plaza around 5pm, with a TIP - if I was going to give out lollies, be very discreet.  Best suggestion was to throw lollies into the air and run.  Seemed a bit extreme, but I was very guarded, and kept my bag of lollies hidden.

Crowds were already gathering in the Plaza from 5pm - kids in costumes and all carrying little baskets (mostly orange plastic pumpkins I'd seen in local shops) for their 'treats'.  Most local businesses around the plaza had supplies of lollies for the kids - even spotted the security guard in one of the banks handing out the lollies to kids who came in saying "Halloween, Halloween' - apparently they don't say 'Trick or Treat'.

 



I was approached by small groups of kids saying 'Halloween' - and I did surreptitiously hand over some lollies, after taking their photos.  I was careful not to bring out lollies in front of crowds of kids ..... but I spotted others who created chaos.....


It was such a fabulous atmosphere - families all out enjoying the evening,  The spectacle provided the entertainment - nothing else was needed.  I mingled around for a while on my own, while Lex watched on from his favourite spot - balcony of Norton's.


Zac joined the queue for KFC - dinner for Milka, who was working late and missed the fun.  Yes KFC and MacDonalds are both in Cusco.   Can you see him?




I just enjoyed the atmosphere - and I must say, I prefer this tradition, rather than kids going around house-to-house.  In the lead up to Halloween, the shops have been decorated, lollies and plastic pumpkins have been on sale, and in recent days, markets and roadside vendors have been selling costumes, masks, hats etc.  Tonight they were all out on display.  The traffic around the plaza was eventually stopped and cars cleared away.  It was really a family affair, and everyone seemed to have a good time.  





They tell me Xmas is an even bigger affair .... bring it on!!!!!

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Looks like a great evening! I must say I was surprised when you mentioned you were going out for Halloween.... I don't know how many times we tried - and eventually gave up - to get you both to play along as kids. Lol!!

Looking forward to the next adventures :D

Don said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I couldn't hear the door bell from the office, or the door thumping. Me thinks that the treats are a bit more special in Cusco.