Saturday, December 31, 2011

Getting ready for New Year - it's a big deal too!!!!

A couple of days after Xmas, the decorations and Nativity items has been replaced in the markets by all thing YELLOW - including masses of yellow undies.  Why?  Yellow is the colour for luck and happiness, so there's yellow confetti, yellow flowers as well as many yellow hats, leis and decorations.


Apparently, people give eachother 'yellow undies' for New Year, to wish them luck and happiness in the following year.  Other colours are also significant too - red for love, white for health and green for money.  But yellow seems to be the most common colour.  Tonight, we went out shopping for yellow undies ... they come in all shapes and sizes too!!

Wearing new clothes seems to be another tradition - and clothing shops have been very busy leading up to New Year.  We are going out to a party New Year's Eve, so there have been nightly sessions, working out what everyone was going to wear.  My turn last night, and I was asked what was I planning to wear, did I have options?  No, but I planned to go shopping the following day.  I bought 2 blouses - so now I have options.  What an achievement - shopping by myself, asking to try on several tops (in very cramped conditions) - in the right size!  Couldn't manage that in France a couple of years ago.  Success I say.

Have read about many other New Year customs in Peru - will wait and see what eventuates.  I understand much of the frivolity happens in the main Plaza - and I think we'll be heading in there for a short time too.

Oh, Gladys was taking Sara and I for a manicure this afternoon - getting ready for our night out!!  It was a little later than expected I think, but we headed into a hairdressers quite close to the house around 5pm.  Just a small place - no bigger than 3m x 4m with 2 hairdressers' chairs, and seating for 4 waiting.  What an experience - it was soooo busy.  At one stage there were 15 people in the place (including the 3 staff).  Milka came in sometime after 6.30 - Sara's hands had been started, and she negotiated for the rest of us to come back at 9 in the morning.  It was really interesting to see people come in and just join the waiting group.  It seems evening is a busy time - another place close to home was equally busy.

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve - Ano Nuevo...... 

No comments: